Friday, May 31, 2013

Day 14: It's Friday Friday gotta get down on Friday

Today was our vacation day, but apparently my immune system took a vacation as well. The day started out fun with great weather and an awesome beach resort. I enjoyed the sun, sand, and waves. However I got sick. I had a slight fever and an uneasy stomach. I thought it might go away, but it got worse as the day went on and I even missed the good meal they set out because of how sick I felt. Delmonte prayed for me and I took a few tums and I felt a little better.


It was really strange seeing how segregated the beach was as the only Haitians there were those trying  sell us stuff. The only Haitians there to enjoy themselves were Delmonte and Macles. Haiti is one of the poorest nations in the western hemisphere, so it made sense that they wouldn't be able to afford a day or week off to relax, which got me to thinking about the best way to help -if there is a way to help. Since Haiti is in the natural resource trap, the bad government trap and occasionally the civil war trap, Paul Collier's The Bottom Billion maintains that sending more aid will only worsen the problem or give minimal assistance at best. It seems Haiti is in a bit of a rut and needs leaders from its own community to help it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment