Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 3: Bob Ross would be proud


Today marked the first day of actual work. Everybody was ready to work as we already had two days of just chilling. We painting the inside of two cement buildings and a few of the local Haitians joined in with us as we worked. During the quake in 2010, the deaf community in Haiti realized they need to band together to survive. Afterwards a lot of them moved to Berci and the villagers that helped us just so happened to be deaf.

Dr. "Dirt" (Dr. Jason Streubel) has a PhD in Soil and is leading to effort in educating the Haitian farmers about how soil affects their crops. His son Macquin turned out to help us paint. He's only twelve.  After most of the work had been done he decided that my shirt would also make a great canvas. He failed to enlighten me as to his plans, which I think was his intention. It kinda annoyed me so I took away his paint roller, so he wouldn't use it against anyone else. I still wonder it my reaction was too much. It stopped the little Haitian kids from following emulating his behaviour, but it may have been a little too quick of a reaction. I was also annoyed because I hadn't gotten any paint on my shirt yet. oh well 

No comments:

Post a Comment