Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Day 18: Last Day in Haiti

Of course we couldn't leave without one last taste of Haiti. We were all almost out of the country when the Haitian Officials stopped Paul. Paul is Korean and he had not renewed his visa to work and get education in the States and although Northwest University had filed the appropriate forms, the Haitian officials wouldn't have it. For hours we waited at the airport waiting for them to clear Paul. It seemed like any possible excuse they could find they used against Paul until finally they accepted Paul's papers and we were on our way.

I'm really glad for the experience of going to Haiti, but I don't know if I'd go again. If I did, I would hope to live in a more integrated environment -maybe even in a Haitian home. That way I'd get a better look at what Haitian life is really like instead of the Mission of Hope filter. Although I enjoyed the benefits of living on a compound ( the constant water, food, and almost constant electricity), I feel that if I truly wanted to live in Haitian culture, I would have to live among them and not on a compound.

No comments:

Post a Comment