Sunday, May 19, 2013

Day 2: Hate is strong word, but...

In our preparation for this trip, we read a few books about cross-cultural experiences and one the of the books we read was Cross-Cultural Connections, by Duane Elmer. In his book he talks a great deal about how to best engage new cultures and how acceptance is key to cross-cultural connections. I was not very accepting today.
In my defense, I totally accepted Haitian culture today; it was just the other group with us that ticked me off. In my defense I only openly mocked them once or twice -and it was even to their faces (although I doubt they realized it). 

They were a group from North Carolina. I have nothing against North Carolina. They were from a Christian "Leadership College". I'm a Christian so we're still good at this point. However, this group has some interesting quirks. They felt like Bible Thumpers in that they were uneducated in everything except their college's view  on leadership and the bible. They are also hospitable to women in that they help them, but it always has to be announced. It felt very insincere. 

It can be actually be very loving when a man carries a woman's luggage, especially if the woman is smaller and the man is quite strong. It instantly loses it's charm when another group's leader publicly commands every male to carry the women's luggage -especially when there are about five males in a group with a size of over fifty. Also, the guys constantly tried to one up me whenever I did something nice that wasn't publicly announced. I kinda ticked me off a bit, so I guess I wasn't too accepting of them. Maybe the sermon in church was about that today. Too bad it was in Creole. I guess I'll never know, but what I do know is that a bunch kids were a lot more loving than me. The kids we visited at the small village of Berci were really accepting and SUPER happy to see us. They were accepting. I would've just starred at a bunch of weird strangers walking through me village, but they were super happy to see us.

No comments:

Post a Comment